Here are some MFA programs that I would consider if I wanted to be in debt for the rest of my life with little to show for it:
SVA.
I was looking at their illustration program and if their reputation means anything then it should be a good one. I don't think their catalog does them any favors, however; the "indie" feel to the catalog seems contrived and the student art work they showcase isn't anything spectacular. It looks like you get a nice drawing cubicle, though - something less cold and uninviting than the MGSA painting studio that is nothing more than empty floor space and shower curtains.
Maine College of Art.
First on their list of MFA students in the 2010 class was Ryan Conrad and a link to his website "Faggotz.org." Sign me up.
NYU Steinhardt.
These bastards got a plethora of Masters degrees. I was glancing at an MA in art education (yeah, I want to teach. Imagine me spreading my pessimism to the impressionable youth. It makes me smile) but I wasn't sure if you wanted to hear about MA's so I scrolled down to an MFA in studio arts. The selection process seems tight and may actually be a little too strict for me but that bodes very well for actually serious artists who want to beef up their degree.
Art Institute of Boston.
First image I can see on their website: some kid sitting indian style on a train with a Macbook Pro on his lap, his smile sheepishly appearing from beneath his shag haircut. Oh Art Institute of Boston, you're so hip. They have a pretty standard MFA program; 2 years, 4 semesters, hard work, blah blah blah. But they also have 15 credits in 5, 10 day residences. The facilities seem pretty clean and cozy. It actually looks like a place I wouldn't mind being stuck in for 10 hours a day. The walls aren't all white washed, the floors aren't splattered with gesso and plaster, and the website doesn't try to conform to this politically correct trend by putting people of every race in every picture with their arms around each other laughing at some joke you know that black guy said cause black guys are so funny.
One thing I learned with this assignment is that the majority of websites for art Universities are absolutely horrendous. They are little more than a single page that offers no information you can look into and a form to fill out to receive information via snail mail (possibly retroactively for the rest of your life). It's aggravating when you can click on a drop down menu that displays what the school offers but cannot learn about the departments because those programs are just text, and not links to a more comprehensive listing. These schools are shooting themselves in the foot by making a students task of compiling future prospective schools into a fire gauntlet that will take them weeks to complete, all the while having to give out pages of his or her personal information just to find out if the school he or she is looking at has the programs he or she needs. Also, upon further review, MFA's seem like suuuuch bullshit.
Friday, October 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
These are really interesting points, and your analysis of MFA publicity materials is right on to nose. I used to teach at AIB and they have put a lot of money into their publicity materials.
ReplyDelete